John Wick Chapter 3 Parabellum (2019) - Could There Be A Spin-off?

★★★☆☆

I'm not a fan of 'John Wick', but a fan of Keanu Reeves. This guy has got some particular charisma, and he, though his acting has been always so-so, perfectly fits in the character as John Wick who is headstrong and stubborn, disciplined and loyal, serious but funny, cruel but adorable . It's an interesting, invincible character that can only exist in a made-up universe like that where things don't necessarily have to be logical or making any sense. Consider 'John Wick' a cult or a comic-book film, you'll probably be able to enjoy it more. But I just couldn't help but keep wondering lots of hows and whys along the way. I forgot it's John Wick that can never be killed by any weapon anyway. That it's an action film where a sensible story is surely not the priority! It's my bad, not the film, I guess!

If not for Reeves, I wouldn't have checked out the film, and also it would've been a film too mundane to be worth a check-out for sure. Still, I feel fairly exhausted watching the non-stop action basically right from start to finish, which seems to me repetitive and not refreshing after all. I however, appreciate the Director's efforts to try to make the fight scenes look more complicated, brutal and artsy, and therefore, more exhilarating and watchable by adding some never-before-seen elements like fights involving lots of knives and blades, dogs, horses, and right, I almost forgot, a book!

Yet those fight scenes can't seem to make me high. What seems to be able to get me is the new female assassin played by the Academy Award winner Halle Berry, and the incomplete story she tells, while John Wick goes to her for help, about how she ended up with John and what suffering he caused to her and her daughter. It sounds like a melancholy story that could be made a terrific spin-off to the series. I'll be absolutely more interested to check that out than the surely soon happening 'John Wick 4' that would bring just nothing but a lot more tedious wrathful killings I presume!

'Consequences' is mentioned several times in the film. John knows it. We know it too. Yet we're doing it like him without considering the consequences! So often as consequences arrive, we regret what we did. We have no wisdom to see and find out how causes and conditions really work with one another. That's why we keep making bad choices for ourselves. We think we have free will to make choices that we want, but we never do, because our mind is all chained up to causes and conditions, time and space, duality and stuff! In fact, we are never free!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

荃灣竹林禪院

屯門妙法寺

沙田萬佛寺