Life Of Pi (2012) - Not Only Beautiful.

★★★★☆

Ang Lee’s films always lack surprises. They’re pretty plain and straight. Some find his Oscar winning ‘Brokeback Mountain’ heart-wrenching. I don’t, but no doubt, it’s his best work so far. ‘Life Of Pi’, adapted from Yann Martel’s same titled bestseller, again demonstrates Ang Lee’s artistic way of telling a story with this time terrific use of 3D technology. I consider it the second best of his works.

I never find 3D movies necessary or enjoyable. They always give me a headache in fact, but in ‘Life Of Pi’, 3D is not only a bonus, but also a must, so as to better indicate the grandiosity and sacredness of the ocean and skies, and how small and insignificant we seem when we’re stuck in between. This film presents a lot of breath-taking, powerful shots of nature’s beauty as well as its wildness. One of the shots that strikes me the most is when Pi is carried by waves a few feet down below the surface of the ocean. He freezes and stares right up, through the refraction of lights, at the ship sinking. I was stunned, and felt like that should be the closest distance between Pi and whatever God he believes in. And I don’t think you can get to feel that magical moment like I felt back there if you see it in 2D.

The adventure’s absolutely amazing and surreal. ‘Life Of Pi’ is a story about a lot of stuff like, how to survive out in the wild; the relationship between men and animals; faith in God that doesn’t necessarily mean Jesus; men’s fears, courage and perseverance; and ultimately our sincere respect for nature and life itself. The message could be hard to digest, but it’s indeed quite a pleasure to see a beautiful film like that, particularly in 3D.

Where’s God? That’s what Pi sometimes questions during his journey. I don’t have a question like that. As a Buddhist, I believe that Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are always with me. It’s just that I’m not mindful or pure enough, or don’t have the right causes and conditions yet to see them, and to communicate with them. They will, however, certainly show up and lend a hand as long as it helps me gain enlightenment, even as a Christian if necessary. To me, that tiger named Richard Parker in the film is God himself. He’s there so Pi can stay alert and alive. He’s to lecture Pi on life and death, faith and compassion. He doesn’t even need Pi to feel grateful to him at all, just like he doesn’t care to turn around and take one last look at Pi when they’re finally separating. Sometimes you find God so unexpectedly!

Pi’s story has two versions. It’s all up to you to believe which is true with or without reasons. Pi believes that when he looks into an animal’s eyes, he sees its soul. But his father insists that he only sees his own emotion reflect back at him. Which one do you think is more sensible then? If you think it’s Pi, you’ll buy the first story. If you think it’s his father, you’ll still buy the first story since it’s too magical and spiritual to resist.

When the film ended, and I walked out of the cinema, it was already dark and late. I stared up at the sky, and let the drizzles down on my face. I then felt blessed…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

荃灣竹林禪院

屯門妙法寺

沙田萬佛寺