Fight Club (1999) - Be Careful What You Think!

★★★☆☆
Those opposed to capitalism or materialism may consider ‘Fight Club’ a masterpiece but I’m not really into it to be honest. Don’t get me wrong here. I’m not money-minded though I’m pretty short of money indeed. Neither am I busy taking care of my stuff while going out getting more stuff. It’s just that it doesn’t strike me much like I thought it would as a movie, even after having seen it twice. It’s not necessarily a bad film however. It does say something that’s rather thought-provoking or disturbing to some. I find it interesting but a bit misleading as well. Arrogant folks could be encouraged to believe that pain’s truly what we need to feel resurrected; that in order to start anew, we have to destroy; that losing is another way of winning, and letting go will earn us more, etc. Truth is, this is a film full of witty lines that may sound stupid to the wise, and wise to the stupid! Here are some of them, and just be careful what you think!

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

And then, something happened. I let go. Lost in oblivion. Dark and silent and complete. I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom.

If you wake up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

People do it everyday, they talk to themselves... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it.

Every evening I died, and every evening I was born again, resurrected.

Listen to me! You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you, never wanted you, and in all probability, he HATES you. It's not the worst thing that can happen.

When you have insomnia, you're never really asleep... and you're never really awake.

After fighting, everything else in your life got the volume turned down.

Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing. Like the first monkey shot into space.

Fuck what you know. You need to forget about what you know, that's your problem. Forget about what you think you know about life, about friendship, and especially about you and me.

Is Tyler my bad dream? Or am I Tyler's?

I can't get married - I'm a thirty-year-old boy.

Reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions.

When the fight was over, nothing was solved, but nothing mattered. We all felt saved.

With insomnia, nothing's real. Everything's far away. Everything's a copy of a copy of a copy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

荃灣竹林禪院

屯門妙法寺

沙田萬佛寺