Get Out (2017) - Haha, No Way!

★★★★☆
‘Get out’ is not a horror film about racism. I don’t see there’s anything deep or sarcastic but a good piece of entertainment! Maybe I’m not an African American. I can’t get to see how they see. Whatever, if you believe that a man can easily be hypnotized by some steady repetitive sounds or words of implication, which I don’t nonetheless, you’ll find this film rather scary and exhilarating at the same time. I pretty enjoy the whole ride to be honest, thanks to the ingenious setup and storytelling, and a satisfying ending that gives a relief rather than a slap back to the dark again like most horror films nowadays seem to do!

To better enjoy the film, you should drop all your guard and guesses, and try not to be so clever at the plot, like the most unsuspicious is actually the most suspicious! I however, already figure what’s going on halfway through, and the ending is of no surprise but the atmosphere the film sets up is damn spooky and mysterious. And you can definitely expect some impressive acting right there because there has to be some psychological changes and expressions to show when it comes to, you know, hypnosis! Yea, ‘Get Out’ is all about that. It’s a prerequisite that you believe hypnosis can work anytime anywhere without you even knowing it. If you buy that, it could be your best film of the year. Even if you don’t, it’ll still give you goosebumps and even  get under your skin time after time!

Speaking of hypnosis, which enables you to literally enter another realm, and probably be used and manipulated as a result, I think of what Morpheus says in ‘The Matrix’: ‘What is real? How do you define real? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then real is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.’ Is what you see and experience real when hypnotized? Yes, absolutely. It’s just that what seems real to you doesn’t necessarily have to be real to others. And just because everybody thinks it’s real doesn’t mean it is real for real!

Well, like I said, I don’t buy hypnosis. I don’t think it’d just work like that. But who knows? Maybe I’ve already been hypnotized for a long, long time, by my own delusions that this is what I am. This is how things work. This is how life’s supposed to be. As a matter of fact, we all sort of enjoy being here hypnotized, thinking that this is all real, and this is it, don’t we? We don’t want to wake up yet. We just don’t want to get out at all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

荃灣竹林禪院

屯門妙法寺

沙田萬佛寺