The Shape Of Water (2018) - HER And IT... Phew...

★☆☆☆☆
The title reminds me of a song relevant not to this film but to another; the story, of ‘Beauty and the Beast’, of which I’m not interested in checking out any version anyway, because I find the love between a beast and a beauty sort of weird and spooky and gross. So, there’s no romance or comfort or thrills for me in ‘The Shape Of Water’. Yeah, the close interactions between HER and IT are expected but it takes place all too sudden and easy. The final kiss in the final act, and a poem to wrap it up… phew… give me a break here!

‘Love’ is somewhat different than ‘compassion’. If you, say, love a flower, you’d pick it and take it with you and make it yours. But if you have compassion for it, you’d leave it where it is and nurture it instead. ‘Love’ is just another expression of selfishness and obsessions, while ‘compassion’ that is the manifestation of giving freedom and absence of judgment, is indeed what you should show when you really are not giving up on someone or something! In the film, not only does IT take HER away in the end, IT also makes HER ‘one of its kind’! Well, if that’s not ‘love’, I don’t know what it is then!

In case you’re still curious about what song I mentioned above, last but not least…


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

荃灣竹林禪院

屯門妙法寺

沙田萬佛寺