MI6: Fallout (2018) - Done Here!

★★★☆☆
Oh my, I’ve watched all episodes of the series so far though I’m not quite into it as a matter of fact, except for ‘M.I. 1’, which I consider an action spy classic that none of its sequels can surpass! ‘M.I. 2’, ‘3’ and ‘4’ are handled by different directors in an attempt to, I guess, showcase various styles of action choreography and storytelling, but the outcome is more or less a letdown. ‘M.I. 5’ is more like it but still not as intriguing and gripping! In the latest ‘M.I. 6’ aka ‘Fallout’, Tom Cruise, though much older now, continues to do what he’s best at, daring stunts, on his own, without a double!

The series has been concentrating more and more on brawn than brains, which is no longer my cup of tea. Like expected, Cruise is pulling more realistic yet pretty awesome stunts here than ever, and he wastes no time. The two-hour-and-a-half film is basically of action, a (boring) plot twist, action, another (boring) plot twist, action, and a happy ending as usual. Ethan Hunt is like a superman in disguise, who can physically combat, skydive, drive a car, ride a motorbike or even fly a chopper like a born genius with no sweat. There’s no way to outrun or outsmart him, let alone defeat him! He’s the invincible like James Bond or Jason Bourne or stuff. So all you have to do is lie back, switch off your thinking and enjoy the ride.

Cruise’s passion for old school action films like this, and his guts and profession to do those dangerous stunts by himself, should truly be appreciated. He could be, you know, the last action hero in his generation that we should all get to cheer on! But I’m tired of films of such kind, and I think I’m done here. Like it or not, the show will go on and on and on with or even without Cruise!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

荃灣竹林禪院

屯門妙法寺

沙田萬佛寺