Last Letter (2020) - It's A Comfort!

★★★☆☆

 

I can't say that I'm satisfied with 'Last Letter'. It doesn't get to move me so much like I expected it should after all, but I can't say that I'm let down either, because under Shunji Iwai's direction, things have always appeared to be bright and benign, humorous a bit, warm to heart and hopeful. His films seem to have some sort of charm and beauty that you just can't turn down.

There's often beams of sunlight cascading down or spilling from behind the characters that are somehow able to grin and bear their own mishaps and sorrows. There're streets and dwellings rather clean and cosy; soft breezes caressing tall grass, flowers, trees and pretty faces; beautiful, postcard shots of landscape on sunny or rainy days; mostly good-hearted, well-behaved people conversing gracefully... all those signature characteristics usually imbedded in Iwai's films manage to instill a sense of positivity and optimism into those, like me, gradually losing their faith in life and humanity. Despite the story itself and how it's told that are indeed nothing surprising, and some too-good-to-be-true characters, 'Last Letter' in general still works as a comfort in a dark time like now!

I didn't watch the director's so called 1995's classic 'Love Letter', and I don't intend to. I guess if I can't be moved a lot by 'Last Letter', I'm probably too old and stiff for 'Love Letter', which is something you and I should be aware of, and learn to mend though, because a stiff heart could be potentially a dangerous thing! 'A Bride For Rip Van Winkle' however, is the only thing written and directed by Shunji Iwai that I've ever watched. Same as 'Last Letter', it arouses an ambivalent feeling inside. It's like watching an artistic dream playing out. You know it's not real and very childish at some point, yet you'd enjoy it and even long to be part of it.

'Last Letter' sells nostalgic romance mixed with a strong remorse for things that should've been done but didn't! It tempts you to imagine how beautiful it would be if only what's done could be undone, but you know, who knows? In such an elegant world as it depicts, people all seem considerate, kind and loving, but you know, that's fairy tale! It even makes me want to move to Japan if possible, but you know, Japan is no perfect like any other countries on this planet. Memories deceive! Delusions kick in! Nothing's really worth it like you think it must! And I sigh but at the same time feel consoled as this theme song keeps going...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

荃灣竹林禪院

屯門妙法寺

沙田萬佛寺