The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021) - It's Not The Devil!

 

★★☆☆☆

To be honest, I’m not really into horror films that feature ghosts, spirits, witches, demons or any other religious stuff. I’m more like a melodrama guy so this kind of scary material could sometimes play out like a comedy to me, but of course if you’re one of those who just can’t get enough of being scared the shit out, ‘The Conjuring’ franchise will not let you down I guess. At least it doesn’t seem like a joke.

Since ‘The Conjuring’ cases are all based on so called true supernatural happenings, the tone of it is basically dark, ominous and serious. That being said, 2013’s ‘The Conjuring’ doesn’t impress me much with a decent setup but a rather disappointing finish! So I let ‘The Conjuring 2’ pass! And now the horror continues with ‘The Devil Made Me Do It’. Alright, you may ask, why would I not let this one pass as well? Well, first, people were praising it, saying it’s juicy and scary. And I wanted to know if it’s them or just me. Second, I was super bored. Yea, I know, it’s my bad. We do stupid things out of boredom all the time! But does checking out ‘The Devil Made Me Do It’ sound like a bad idea? Not quite.

Instead of focusing on a single haunted house and its troublesome people, this time around we’re introduced to a bigger scale of supernatural activities. There’re murders in different places to look into, some kind of witchy ritual to be stopped, still some demonic spirit to be exorcised and possessed souls to be freed. The Couple have to bounce around to piece together all the puzzles to finally be able to defeat the devil, as in the end the bond between them grows stronger and their love for each other deeper. The elements are more or less the same as those that make ‘The Conjuring’ not completely a turnoff, except murders to solve, and thus a seemingly more complicated picture. But it all comes down to love and possessions!

The film says, love is not weakness but strength. I say, love is weakness as well as strength. It could be the reason we rise or the reason we fall. Whatever is possessing or driving you should not be overlooked, whether it’s something natural or supernatural. Truth is, what seems to make you might as well break you! It’s not the devil that wants to possess you. It’s always you that wish to be possessed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

荃灣竹林禪院

屯門妙法寺

沙田萬佛寺