Longlegs (2024) - Hail, Satan! Really?

★★☆☆☆

 

Crime thrillers are sure my cup of tea, but only a few has managed to stick around my mind after all these years. Most are easily forgotten due to their pretentious but in fact shallow and preposterous way of presentation. Maybe it’s my fault that I’d prefer crime thrillers only involving man’s demonic outrage to those implying that supernatural power is the stuff behind it all. And ‘Longlegs’ appears to be the former at first but turns out it’s something else!

‘Longlegs’ is not based on a true story though it seems like it is, which enables it to have a pretty neat and gripping beginning. As it develops however, this totally made up story starts to lose its charm. And the way it ends is such a complete turn-off that would make you regret the time you’ve spent on it.  I guess it’d be better that they leave the crime unsolved and unexplained rather than put the blame on something demonic or satanic or supernatural power related insanity.

Most people check out the film probably because they want to find out how terrifying Cage’s Longlegs may look and boost their heart rate as the trailer itself depicts so. I gotta admit that the film is as atmospheric and gloomy as expected, and a bit shocking at times. The slow-burn pace and purposeful camerawork are well achieved. The final interrogation sequence is as effective and sickening as it should be. But if you’re eager to be scared by the impact of Cage’s transformation, you’d be rather disappointed. I don’t find Cage’s look scary here or his acting any different than what he’s always done for any of his hysterical characters before. Plus, you won’t be given his whole look till more than an hour into the film, and he stays around like only couple minutes.

‘Longlegs’ is not nerve wracking to me on account of its pretentiousness and exaggerated acting from time to time. Not as scary and startling as I thought it would be, it’s after all overhyped and more or less a letdown! I don’t know, maybe I’m long way past being convinced by the ‘devil made me do it’ stuff since I believe that there’s no devil and it’s always us. Therefore, ‘Hail, Satan’ sounds like so unsatisfying!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

荃灣竹林禪院

屯門妙法寺

沙田萬佛寺