Frozen (2013) - True Love Thaws Only If...

★★★☆☆
Kids nowadays are not so simple and naïve like we think they should. This Oscar’s Best Animated film of the year is absolutely for kids… or maybe I’m wrong, because even kids would complain about it being too simple and straight. I thought to myself, if I was a little girl, no doubt I’d be so excited to see such an exhilarating, heart-warming piece of computer animation. Plus, it’s sort of a musical. There’re a lot of beautiful songs to enjoy. But you know what, it’s not at all easy to be simple now. ‘Frozen’ kind of makes me feel sorry for adults like me, and kids who prefer complicated stuff!

Nothing’s ‘special’ about this film. The story’s straightforward. The lyrics are easy to remember and understand. The characters are either good or bad, no gray area. If you think the Queen’s something in between. Think again! The message is also simple: true love thaws everything, even a frozen heart! No wonder, it’s based on a fairy tale by the famous Andersen. Some say fairy tales poison, but I don’t really buy it. At least they’re good to keep you simple-minded. And being simple-minded is a source of happiness. Why do we tend to agonize as we grow up? It’s because we become unnecessarily complicated later.

Okay, what is ‘true’? Is there ‘fake love’? Or is there anything beyond ‘true’ and ‘fake’? I guess before you ask such questions, you should ask yourself first of all: am I being true to myself here? The thing is, we’ve been keeping a simple mind or say, true love (compassion) at bay for far too long that we hardly believe we do have!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

荃灣竹林禪院

屯門妙法寺

沙田萬佛寺