Miss Sloane (2017) - Too Slick To Be True!

★★★☆☆
If you don’t know what lobbying is, according to Ms. Sloane (Jessica Chastain), basically ‘Lobbying is about foresight… The winner plots one step ahead of the opposition… It's about making sure you surprise them. And they don't surprise you.’ Still I don’t quite understand this walk of life and the people in it. That’s my bad. That’s probably the reason why I don’t feel engaged watching the film as well. They act intense and throw around a lot of political arguments but I don’t feel like I have to care. Not that ‘Miss Sloane’ is bad. To be fair, it’s a decent play-smart film that you would love, only if you’re a fan of such films, and Jessica Chastain herself.

Like Ms. Sloane says in the beginning about lobbying, yea, she does surprise me in the end with a plot twist, but I just feel like the setup’s too smart and slick to be true! Right, things like that could be possible since it’s a cunning, formidable lobbyist like Ms. Sloane who would do whatever it takes to win, but still I find it somewhat unconvincing! And yea, Jessica Chastain puts up a good performance here, like she already does back in ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ that I appreciate more in fact, but I don’t feel like there’s any breakthrough concerning her acting here as Miss Sloane!

The film raises an issue of gun control though it’s not really about that. It’s more about how reckless ambitions and desires drive a person to become a pathetic terrible beast! There’s a beast inside every one of us waiting to break out anytime you feel loose and lower your guard against it. Keep in mind that guns are, like drugs, money, nuclear weapons and many other evil things you may refer, no problem at all. It’s always us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

荃灣竹林禪院

屯門妙法寺

沙田萬佛寺