In The Shadow Of The Moon - I Do Believe Now.

(2007) ★★★★☆

I’m always amazed by the Universe, its beauty and mystery, its enormity and complexity, its extreme violence and elegance. It reminds me of how insignificant I am and my problems are every time I’m troubled. Sometimes I really wish I could soar up there and take a look back at our lovely, charming home, The Earth. So far, however, there’ve been only less than 20 people lucky enough to have that unique experience. They are the astronauts of the Apollo Program. And this is a heartfelt documentary about them.

‘In The Shadow Of The Moon’ centers on Apollo 11 mission that marks a small step for men but a giant leap for mankind as we all remember. The Apollo Program may seem well planned and calculated but it was kind of a suicide move as a matter of fact. They even got an obituary ready for the President to announce before those astronauts took off. Thanks to the Cold War, the Americans were all bold and determined to want to explore the new territory despite the fact that they might never be able to come back home safely. I guess it’s worth dying for because being able to look at The Earth from outer space is such an inspiring and satisfying experience you can never imagine in life. I almost shed a tear watching the clips the astronauts shot on the way to The Moon, of The Earth quietly hanging out there in the space like a pretty little blue diamond!

I remember one of the astronauts said, when asked how they felt after they returned home, that he bought ice cream and stood in the middle of the crowd watching people passing by, and he felt very blessed. Indeed he feels like living in the Garden of Eden every single day ever since. That he has no idea why people are apt to grumble about what’s happening around instead of appreciating their being here on The Earth. Neither do I, but I’m sure that we all forget one thing most of the time: we’re vulnerable and The Earth is so fragile.

I used to doubt if they really sent men to The Moon. Now I don’t. I truly believe they did. The Apollo Program was too big to be a hoax. If it was, some would’ve confessed since it involved not one or two but so many people. Plus, those astronauts all seemed emotional during the interview while reminiscing of their unique, close contact with The Moon. I, too, was moved and tearful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

荃灣竹林禪院

屯門妙法寺

沙田萬佛寺