Lone Survivor (2013) - All You Need Is...

★★★☆☆
I’ve been unwell these few days, both physically and mentally, but I know it’s all but my mind working in a wrong direction. That it’s nothing compared with what they go through in ‘Lone Survivor’, a war film based on a true story that tells how four SEALs make their way out of excruciating hell! Can’t say it’s good but it’s got some qualities to it like the sound mixing and the makeup effects and the pace that doesn’t seem to rush and end in awkwardness.

I like the opening of the film in particular where things look intriguing, calm and kind of peaceful, a great contrast anyway to what’s going to happen next. The setup is gripping. The combat is painfully realistic. The deaths are all heroic. Still I’m not convinced by Mark Wahlberg’s performance. He looks to me more like a clown than a solider in there, and doesn’t seem to fit in at all. I don’t know. Maybe it’s not him. It’s just me!

‘Lone Survivor’ may not be memorable, but it does teach two things, that you never live alone. You live because others live. If you die, so will others. Life’s a phenomenon of intertwined karma. So there’s no reason to be selfish at all. And… no matter how hellish and harsh the world seems to be, or how ridiculous people seem to get, just don’t lose heart since there’re always good souls out there ready to give you a helping hand. So be good and do what’s right, because sometimes in a situation like that, all you need is not skills or a strong will or stuff, but simply a blessing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

荃灣竹林禪院

屯門妙法寺

沙田萬佛寺