Anna (2019) - Luc Besson's Back?

★★★☆☆

To distract myself at times from such a political turmoil going on here in Hong Kong, I needed films not necessarily thought-provoking but hopefully entertaining and fun! Luc Besson's films could be a good choice but you know there isn't all glory in his filmography, of which, 'Leon, TheProfessional' is like a masterpiece in its genre to me that cannot be surpassed. Others like 'Taken' or 'Lucky' and stuff, despite not memorable, are still worth your time if you're a fan of action films. The director's latest 'Anna', as you might've guessed, is enjoyable for sure but not great enough to stand unforgettable!

Like I said however, I don't need something that requires viewers to have to wrap their head around hard to better understand. Right at a time like this, I don't want to understand any film. I just hope it can help me relax instead even for a little while. And 'Anna' turns out a very decent action piece that doesn't need you to rack your brains at all to know what's going on, rather, it draws your attention and keeps you entertained right from start to finish as it adopts a non-linear way of storytelling to intrigue. Watching the film is like picking up puzzle pieces along the way to finally get to the whole picture. There's a twist inside a twist inside a twist to surprise, like the Russian toy Matryoshka dolls that contains a doll inside a doll inside a doll. The ride is engrossing and fun. The truth is gladly nothing serious and deep. A nice job done though by Luc Besson in recent years!

Probably the only message the film tries to convey is that you can trust no one but yourself. Trust yourself how, as you know, your mindset seems to be fickle from time to time constantly being influenced by what you read, hear, touch and feel. I'm not sure about myself to be honest. I'm not sure either, if there's really such a thing as freedom in this world that we're fighting for right here right now. Your freedom could vary a lot from mine. Yet we keep trying to convince one another that it's the same!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

荃灣竹林禪院

屯門妙法寺

沙田萬佛寺