Easy A - A Decent Comedy.

(2010) ★★★☆☆

Said that it's inspired by Nathaniel Hawthorne's masterpiece, 'The Scarlet Letter', which really gave me a headache when I had to read it once as a student, I mean the words he used, not the story. Oh right, there's another piece of American classic mentioned, Mark Twain's 'The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn'. I had to read it too when studying American Literature. What I didn't figure was, it's actually a gay story between a white boy and a giant black guy as the film interprets. 'Easy A' is a comedy making jokes out of conventions and traditions.

'A' stands for Adultery, but Oliver (Emma Stone) has got nothing to do with that because she's not married. As a high schooler, she aspires to be popular and asked to a date or two, but the fact is, like she says, if Google Earth was a guy, he couldn't find her even if she was dressed up as a 10-story building. She, therefore, has to spend the weekend at home alone singing to her dog in the bed: I've got a pocket, a pocket full of sunshine. I've got a love that I know that's all mine. Oh, whoa! And that gave me a big laugh really. In order not to be embarrassed or teased, she's compelled to tell that she has sex with a college boy the day after. The rumor then spreads. The story gets bigger. So does the trouble she's in.

What makes this film worth a check out are the sarcastic dialogues and Emma Stone's performances. Honestly I haven't seen on screen such a charming girl like her for long. She really stands out in the film with her unique charisma, you know the way she moves and talks with her sexy voice is like a star to me though she's not quite yet like that in reality. She's rising for sure.

I don't have a problem with this film. It's just that I'm not that into comedies like I was before. 'Easy A' nonetheless, is a decent one not to be missed if you want some laughs and spice to your high school life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

荃灣竹林禪院

屯門妙法寺

沙田萬佛寺