One Day - Love's Pain That We Can't Get Enough!

(2011) ★★★★☆


‘One Day’ is extracted from things that take place on a particular day, July 15th, between Emma (Anne Hathaway) and Dexter (Jim Sturgess) from 1988 to 2011. They hit it off on their college graduation but I guess they think of each other more like a friend than a proper date. They after all don’t have sex even though they end up in bed together on the first day they meet.

I consider sex the necessity in love, but we don’t pretend to love just to have sex, do we? If you do, I don’t because I simply can’t. I think the reason why they don’t have sex as they’re supposed to is that they have different point of view on sex and love, and essentially, which must come first in a proper relationship. Does Emma love Dexter? Absolutely. Does Dexter love Emma? I doubt. He prefers playing the field to having a life-long partner. He’s far too young to realize what he’s doing would only bring him sorrow and pain later. They’re meant to be together, but tell you what, it’s not a happy ending!

‘One Day’ is a nice romance film in terms of how the story goes, witty dialogues, emotional moments and great characterizations. It reminds me of an old-fashioned truth: love’s a hell lot of pain. It hurts definitely, but we just can’t seem to get enough. We keep searching for a perfect partner though we know there’s in fact no such a thing. If love means to serve our own ego, we’re bound to get hurt in the end. Our love’s selfish for we, the sentient beings, all expect something in return for loving someone. How pathetic! I didn’t cry while seeing this love story, but I do while reminiscing of mine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

荃灣竹林禪院

屯門妙法寺

沙田萬佛寺