Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019) - What A Hell Of A Film!

★☆☆☆☆

You got to be a Hollywood film junkie, I guess, to be able to appreciate Quentin's latest 'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood'. It's like you got to be a kung-fu junkie to be able to appreciate 'Once Upon A Time In China' as well. I'm not though. So to me it's the most disappointing work by Quentin so far. 'Kill Bill' series and 'Reservoir Dogs' are fun and watchable. 'Django Unchained' and 'Inglorious Bastards' are superb. 'The Hateful Eight' is after all not my cup of tea. Quentin once said in an interview that he'd literally retire from filmmaking when he's done making the tenth full-length feature to his career, as 'OUATIH' being his ninth! There'd only be one more left if he really meant it. Sad and bad news for die-hard fans of Quentin, but again, I'm not! I won't be missing him so!

It could be me but the film's dragged out and tedious. The story seems to have no focus, no twists, no climax either. If you consider the last 30 minutes of it as one, I don't. And I don't think those violence towards women are anything funny and necessary. Leonardo is silly and ridiculous as ever in the film inside the film. That's a bit entertaining though. Brad is super hot and sexy but so what? He goes like a big cameo on and off doing I don't know what he's doing. Others are just so forgettable. The film's a total letdown, period! Maybe my taste has changed! Or maybe Quentin has! Whatever, I have no desire to check out his next!

Last but not least, I know Quentin is a kung-fu junkie, but I don't know why he pictures Bruce Lee like a clown in the film. To everyone's knowledge, Bruce's undeniably a master not only in films but also in real life. Well, I have no idea what the so called film master like Quentin is trying to say about the kung-fu master like Bruce by making a scene like that! In such sense, 'OUATIH' is indeed, what a hell of a film!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

荃灣竹林禪院

屯門妙法寺

沙田萬佛寺