Monsters - I Don't Get It.

 (2010) ★★☆☆☆


In 'Monsters', you don't quite get a proper glimpse of the monsters till the last scene, which has been considered the best sex scene ever. Eh... I'm not sure if they're communicating or actually making out. Anyways, it seems pretty stupid to me.

Said it's a very special piece of work, but I don't see anything special about it. In case you're curious, it's about a man, a photographer, trying to help his boss's daughter get back to the America. They could've traveled safely by boat, but thanks to alcohol they lost their passports. Thus they have no choice but to cross the Infected Zone, and run into monsters, a squid-like giant creature, a new life form that has been breeding inside the Zone since 6 years ago a space probe sent to collect alien samples within our Solar System crashed there, somewhere between the America and Mexico. The setup is interesting, but the journey itself sucks.

There're one or two War-Of-The-Worlds scenes, but the thing is, 'War Of The Worlds' is a total failure. What's worse, 'Monsters' has no gruesome monsters, no exciting chases, no explanations why they attack, how they breed and survive, what they like and dislike. It seems more like a love story. I'm fine with using monsters as a backdrop for something romantic though. What upsets me is, I don't feel moved.

Don't get it wrong. This is not a monster movie. Should it be seen as a love story, it's a lousy one. I have no idea why most of the people think it's worth a checkout. I guess monsters are indeed in the eye of the beholder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

荃灣竹林禪院

屯門妙法寺

沙田萬佛寺